Mobile Trial 1

Tuesday 24 October 2017

Am Home or Am In My House - know the difference

Use of home and house in sentences:

Having known the difference between home and house, many of you might have trouble in knowing how to use these words in sentences, especially while using the word 'home'. If you are confused about the difference between I am home and I am in my house, don't worry! This post will let you know that understanding the phrases 'am home' or 'am in my house' is a cakewalk. Take a look at the following sentences and then, see the explanation that follows.

Examples:
1. I will be there tomorrow.
2. I will be in that place tomorrow.

From the above examples, remember that when you mention 'place', you use the preposition 'in' (example 2). On the other hand, example 1 doesn't have a preposition as you have mentioned the place using the word 'there'. This same principle is applied while using the words 'home' and 'house'. Some of the examples are given below.

3. I will be home tomorrow.
4. I will be in my house tomorrow.
5. I will go home at 5 p.m.
6. I will go to my house at 5 p.m.

The above four examples clearly let you know that when you use home, preposition is avoided and when you replace 'home' with 'my house', preposition is compulsory.

Based on the above explanation, now let's see the difference between 'am home' and 'am in my house'.
7. I am home.
8. I am in my house.

Examples 7 and 8 are both grammatically correct as we have avoided any preposition for 'home' and the preposition 'in' is included for 'my house'.


Note: Always use home or my house. Never use my home as home itself indicates that the place is your house.

Your feedback or queries are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment